What Can A Parent Do?
If you have 5-15 year old and would like to learn how to parent in a more effective, and respectful way, come and join us for this fun, interactive 7-week course.
You will really enjoy the ‘What Can a Parent Do?’ course, as it helps you to deal with the nitty-gritty of parenting school aged children. You will learn new more effective ways of dealing with misbehaviours, learn the power of encouragement and build stronger family relationships. This course has helped countless parents already, so we are confident it will also help you.
The seven sessions of the course look at the following issues/subjects:
- What is your child looking for when they display attention seeking behaviour, enter into a power contest, seek revenge, show inadequacy or when they simply want to impress their friends. It also suggests new ways of dealing with this type of behaviour such as paying less attention to the misbehaviour and giving more positive attention when the children behave well.
- Becoming a responsible parent, by eliminating controlling behaviours or perfectionism or becoming a doormat, or being overprotective. Also encouraging children to be more responsible by giving them simple age appropriate responsibilities.
- Encouraging children, including effective ways of encouraging, noticing positive behaviour and the difference between encouragement and praise.
- Listening, including active listening skills and helping children to talk out their feelings.
- Communicating about problems, which involves working out who owns the problem, “I messages” and a four stage problem-solving approach.
- Disciplining children, including offering children a limited choice and allowing them to live with consequences, using consequences and being firm, friendly and consistent.
- Talking things out together and family meetings.
‘What Can a Parent Do?’ is a Family Caring Trust’s evidence based course, as recommended by Leeds City Council’s Family Support and Parenting Team